Justine Heeley, Managing Director at McMurdo UK, looks at new developments in search and rescue technology.
McMurdo FastFind 220 PLB
- Brand: McMurdo
McMurdo the worlds most trusted brand for PLB and EPIRB development.
- Convenient small size
- Built-in GPS
- Economical Battery Replacement
- Auckland Service Centre – Available 7 days a week
- Manufactured in the UK in a mil spec factory
- Recommended and used by Professional Search & Rescue Services Worldwide
The Fast Find acts as your personal Emergency Location Beacon, it is your last resort communication to the national and international search and rescue bodies and it should not be mis-used. The Fast Find is designed as a direct communication, to the 406 MHz Search and Rescue satellite system, its signal indicates that you are in need of urgent response and assistance.
Its small size belies its rugged construction and powerful output. There is no compromise. Once activated, the distress beacon will obtain a GPS position, send out a signal for help, and continue to transmit for at least 24 hours, at a powerful 5 watt output, ensuring that your call for help gets through whatever the conditions. The pocket sized beacon transmits at the press of a button, to alert search and rescue services to your plight. A built in strobe can be activated to automatically flash SOS to any response activity.
For an intensive independent review please go to: http://www.equipped.com/McMurdoNewFastFind.htm
Any 220 PLB imported from USA or Europe would be unable to get registration with the New Zealand Rescue Co-ordination Centre as it is a slightly different product and does not conform to the required specifications for PLBs registered in New Zealand and Australia
* The FF220 PLB has a GPS reciever and transmits on 2 frequencies as well as having a LED light that emits an SOS signal.
* The 50 Channel GPS reciever requires clear line of sight with the GPS Satellites.
* When a GPS position has been aquired that fix is transmitted to the GEO stationary satellite over the South Pacific which relays it to the Rescue Co-ordination Centre.
* The 406 MHz transmitter has a powerful 5W output which will transmit through the canopy to the low polar orbiting COSPAS and SARSAT satellites. This may take longer to establish.
* Once the alarm is raised the PLB also sends a 121.5MHz homing signal which assists the Search and Rescue (SAR) teams to locate you.
* The combination of these transmitters and the LED SOS light reduces the time it takes to be rescued.
* When you acquire a GPS fix the PLB will flash to let you know; which can be very reassuring. With GPS the search area is reduced to around 30m² and notification to SAR is within minutes.
* The PLB is guaranteed to emit a distress signal for a minimum of 24 hours at the end of the 6 year battery change period.
* The SOS LED function emits an SOS pattern 4 times with every push and can be used up to a maximum of 30 times.
* Can be self tested but this should only be done once a month at a maximum, as it reduces battery power.
* Waterproof down to 10m for 5 minutes and will float in its neoprene pouch to enable retrieval but is not designed to float like an EPIRB (it has neutral bouancy in fresh water).
* Ideal for adventure seekers due to its small size, weight and the features outlined above and has been built to military specifications.
Transmit time for at least 24 hours
Transmit Power: 5 watts
Built in strobe can be activated to automatically flash SOS to any response activity
Dimensions: 34mm (d) x 47mm (w) x 106mm (l)
Temperature rating: -20°
Battery designed to run for a minimum of 24 hours at the end of 6 years after which it can be easily replaced at our service centre.
All Marine – Whangarei Ph 09 438 4499
Barton Marine – Wellington Ph 04 385 1490
Bivouac Stores (12 locations) Click here for store location
Boat NZ – Christchurch Ph 03-384 3849
Cater Marine – Opua Ph 09 402 8292
H & M Pascoe Boatbuilders – Whitianga Ph 07 866 5866
Hunting & Fishing Ballingers – Christchurch Ph 03-377 5090
LightHouse Boating Supplies – Constellation Dr, Auckland Ph 09 444 3442 ( 0800 23 25 23 )
Marine & Engineering Supplies – Marsden Cove Ph 09 437 0661
Mobile Systems – Mt Maunganui Ph 07 575 2966
Oddies Marine – Picton Ph 03 573 8369
Rivers to Ranges – Hastings Ph 06-878 7177
Sailors Corner – Westhaven, Auckland Ph 309 6153
Safety at Sea – Westhaven, Auckland Ph 0800 809 911
Steves Marine Supplies – Tauranga Ph 07 578 9593
Southern Ocean Safety Equipment – Bluff Ph 03 212 8893
Shooters World – Gore Ph 03 208 7456
Wild Outdoorsman - Hokitika Ph 03 755 8947
- Greymouth Ph 03 768 0206
Woodbine Marine – East Tamaki, Auckland Ph 09 265 1623
Injured hiker / tramper rescued from Nelson lakes national Park after activating PLB
Half of the world's MEOSAR satellite ground infrastructure has been installed by McMurdo, as well as the manufacture of 25% of the world's 500,000 registered beacon
Today the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) have selected McMurdo's Medium-altitude Earth Orbit Search and Rescue (MEOSAR) ground system to support Singapore search and rescue missions. Singapore's sea and air search and rescue capabilities have been enhanced with its investment in a new medium-altitude earth orbit search and rescue (MEOSAR) ground system, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in a statement on Monday (Jul 24).